Burns & McDonnell Lead Stormwater / Drainage Planning Engineer - Transportation (Dallas, Austin) in Fort Worth, Texas
It’s a great time to be an Employee-Owner at Burns & McDonnell.
Experienced engineering professionals are in high demand, so we work hard to attract and retain the best talent in the industry. If you are a proven technical leader in stormwater management systems, welcome home to a team that will appreciate your ambition and provides the tools and resources you need to deliver critical infrastructure across Texas and the nation.
Reside as the Lead Stormwater / Drainage Planning Engineer, subject matter expert and stormwater engineer for our Civil Transportation group based in Austin, Dallas, Fort Worth or Houston office. You should be a highly driven employee with excellent technical skills to lead the modeling, planning, and detailed drainage design aspects related to civil projects of all sizes and scopes.
As a technical leader, Burns & McDonnell provides you with…
An employee-owned culture where everyone has a stake in our success. Being 100% employee-owned means, we are all driven to find remarkable solutions for our clients. You will have ownership in a firm that leads multiple categories in ENR’s Top 10 Industry Rankings, has a 90% repeat-business rate, and maintains >93% employee retention.
The resources to design, deliver and build complex stormwater projects. Burns & McDonnell has a deep bench and a strong portfolio of high-profile civil and transportation infrastructure projects throughout Texas and the country. You will engage with multi-disciplined teams of engineers and technicians to deliver complex drainage projects. You will also work closely with our in-house construction, environmental, technology, design and stakeholder engagement teams to provide clients with a full suite of services to make their projects successful.
Career and professional development opportunities. Our technical leaders serve as our mentors, quality managers, and critical thinkers, so we value and invest in their development. We will provide the right tools and training to help you build strong relationships and give you wide-ranging responsibilities for delivering work, including a talented existing resource pool, dedicated staff for project planning and budgeting support, continuing education opportunities, and influence on important decisions that impact your ability to be successful.
A work environment where safety is first. Burns & McDonnell’s safety statistics are top-of-class and routinely in the top 5% of all AEC firms. Our professionals adhere to extensive safety programs, training and policies and promote and manage the safety and health performance of project team members and subcontractors.
● Will provide the strategic direction, vision, direction, and coordination associated with the study and design of watershed management and stormwater collection systems for heavy highway, municipal, riverine, and site civil projects. Typical projects include H&H reports, CLMR/LOMR, preliminary & final design of civil stormwater infrastructure, and development of integrated design-build construction plans.
● Coordination of activities with several disciplines and sub-consultants.
● Provide leadership, mentorship, and instruction to an existing talented pool of experienced PEs and EITs across all Texas offices.
● Provides advanced technical advice on very complex stormwater projects to staff and will serve as the lead quality control engineer for all aspects of stormwater management systems.
● Regularly meets and corresponds with clients and industry professionals
● Drives the decision-making process as project lead, task lead, or lead technical engineer for stormwater systems.
● Engagement in professional organizations and a desire to continuously improve in personal technical development.
● A strong desire to focus career on the stormwater management technical discipline.
● Other duties as assigned.
Bachelor's Degree in Civil Engineering or related degree from an ABET-accredited program and seven (7) years related civil engineering experience. EPC project experience preferred.
Bachelor's Degree in Civil or related Engineering Technology from an ABET-accredited program and successful completion of Fundamentals of Engineering (FE) exam and seven (7) years related civil engineering experience. EPC project experience preferred.
Master Degree in Civil Engineering and 6 years civil engineering experience. EPC project experience preferred.
Experience leading and developing all technical aspects of engineering projects related to stormwater water management systems including piping, culverts, bridge hydraulics, scour analysis, 2-D modeling and open channel hydraulics strongly preferred.
Strongly prefer candidate to have experience in many of the following areas: hydrology, hydraulics, systems modeling and capital planning, open channel flow modeling, design of green infrastructure, design of large diameter pipe systems, culverts and the design of stormwater conveyance systems.
Experience leading and developing flow and rainfall monitoring plans; analyze flow and rainfall data strongly preferred.
Leading and developing geographic information system (GIS) and global positioning system (GPS) maps and mobile applications to collect data strongly preferred.
Experience in coordination with Local Flood Plain Administrators and FEMA regulations and permitting processes strongly preferred.
Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
Experience with leading the discipline design for large projects and delegating work tasks to team members. Ability to lead execution of work and resolve issues in a team environment.
Demonstrated critical thinking skills, ability to work methodically and analytically in a quantitative problem-solving environment.
Strong attention to detail, facilitation, team building, collaboration, organization and problem-solving skills.
Ability to perform quality reviews for detailed engineering documents and specifications.
Expert knowledge in standard engineering techniques and procedures. Strongly prefer experience with software platforms including but not limited to:
○ HEC Programs
○ Pond Pack
○ GeoPak Drainage
● Familiarity with a broad base of clients across Texas and regionally connected states preferred.
● Experience with national best practices is a plus.
● Exposure to coastal drainage systems is a plus.
● Understanding of project delivery in recharge zones such as the Edwards Aquifer Zone and Water Quality Plans is a plus.
- Ability to travel.
● Experience level preferred 12 years working in the related civil industry with emphasis on drainage and stormwater applications.
● Candidate should be a licensed Professional Engineer (PE) with the ability to obtain a Texas PE
● Certified Floodplain Manager (CFM) certification is a plus.
● Candidate shall have TxDOT stormwater pre-certifications or ability to obtain them upon hire within 6 months.
● Bachelor's degree in civil, environmental, or related engineering from an ABET accredited university.
● Candidate must have excellent written and verbal communication skills, as well as strong analytical and problem-solving skills.
● Ability to work well with and in teams while building relationships quickly.
About Burns & McDonnell’s Texas Transportation Group.
Burns & McDonnell’s Texas Transportation Practice serves departments of transportation, ports, cities, counties and private industry across the state of Texas and country. From rural roads to complex urban interchanges, tollways and long-span bridges, our innovative and cost-effective solutions help improve mobility and safety on our nation’s roads, highways, trails, bridges and rail systems. We also provide strategic consulting services to help our clients communicate their vision and secure the funding and support that are critical to their success. Our comprehensive services include design, design-build, construction management, environmental planning, feasibility studies, inspection, ITS, permitting, program management, right-of-way acquisition, signaling & lighting, stakeholder engagement, strategic consulting, sustainable design, traffic analysis, transportation enhancement, and utility coordination and relocation.
Job Civil Engineering
Primary Location US-TX-Dallas
Other Locations US-TX-Fort Worth, US-TX-Austin, US-TX-Houston
Travel: Yes, 25 % of the Time
Req ID: 232926 Job Hire Type Experienced