Burns & McDonnell Assistant Department Manager – Control & Automation GFS in Mumbai, India
Burns & McDonnell India is looking for an experienced Control & Automation engineer interested in
growing their careers in people management role in an organization listed as Great Places to work in
India. The “Global Facilities” (GFS) business unit handles engineering of facilities in the North America
region which includes food & beverage facilities, consumer product facilities, aerospace facilities, life
sciences facilities, hyper scale datacenters, commercial facilities, healthcare facilities and utility plants.
The Mumbai office has a full complement of professionals with expertise in architecture, civil, electrical,
control & automation, fire protection, mechanical, structural engineering, and project management.
This position is responsible for managing a team of Control & Automation engineers and design
technicians who provide a full range of control & automation design services on various facility projects
which includes but not limited to PLC programming, human-machine interface (HMI), SCADA, Digital
Control Systems (DCS), building management system (BMS), electrical power monitoring systems
(EPMS), audio/video systems, telecom & fiber, security systems, etc. The successful candidate will
report to the business unit manager and will assist in building a team to support the future growth of
the control & automation business.
Responsibilities: major responsibilities will include:
- Manage Delivery Commitments: Coordinate and oversee the delivery of all technical activities
relating to control & automation projects, including directing the design team, reviewing drafts
and computer models, and approving design changes.
a. Communicate directly with managers, production staff, and clients to discuss and
manage project delivery throughout various design stages.
b. Develop design proposals for clients according to prescribed scopes and deadlines, and
explain relevant details, reports, and goals in clear and persuasive language.
- Recruitment & Retention: Responsible for recruitment and retention of talent as per the
business needs and growth of the department. This includes identifying hiring needs, floating
requisitions, screening candidates, onboarding successful candidates, and grooming them to
support the business while helping employees realize their professional aspirations within the
- Timesheets: Responsible for managing timesheets of direct report which includes approving
weekly timesheets by reviewing the timesheet charges in detail. The role also involves educating
the staff on properly filling the timesheets in time by using appropriate pay codes.
a. The manager will be responsible for operating the group at a higher chargeable by
finding work assignments to keep the team busy.
- Project Staffing & Team Assignment: Responsible to staff project teams with appropriate
resources in terms of number and skillset to support the project needs.
- Client Engagement: Build effective relationships with existing clients and look for new business
a. Seek feedback from clients on services delivered and understand their needs to
customize the service offerings of the group.
- Training & up-skilling: Responsible to maintain skill matrix of the staff and identify any skill gaps
based on the work outlook.
a. The department manager should identify training opportunities by coordinating with HR
teams, training manager and his/her counterparts in various GP and make it available to
b. This also involves encouraging the team to engage in professional societies like
International Society of Automation (ISA) or Association of Controls Professionals (ACP)
to stay abreast with the latest trends in project management.
c. Lastly the department manager should encourage the team members to pursue
professional certifications in the field to help perform their roles effectively.
- Coaching & Mentoring: Provide technical leadership, guidance, and instruction to the team
members. Mentor and develop team members, including coaching to help promote professional
- Succession Planning: Responsible to build an organization structure to sustain the growth by
developing future leaders and managers. The manager should identify promising candidates in
the team and groom them for future leadership roles to build a leadership pipeline in the group.
- Quality Management: Responsible for QA/QC process adherence and implementing continuous
improvement measures in the group. This involves ensuring that the team is implementing the
standard project execution procedures to help comply with ISO-9001 requirements. Also
responsible for creating awareness among the team about quality and its importance to stay
relevant in the business.
a. Continuous Improvement: Remain up to date with current and trending elements of
design, construction, and technology by reading industry publications, manuals, and
textbooks and attending professional development courses and events as time permits.
i. Innovate and develop new standards, policies, and procedures for control &
automation design and engineering work as necessary to minimize costs and
- People Management: Provide a patient ear to them to the staff to understand their concerns
and opinions in order to engage them productively in company business at the level they can
and are allowed to contribute thereby driving true teamwork & camaraderie in the group.
- Workload Forecasting: Responsible for forecasting work and maintaining high chargeability of
- Performance Appraisals & Reviews: Responsible for handling performance appraisals of the
direct reports and setting expectations for the same for subsequent section managers to ensure
consistency of appraisal processes is maintained in the department. The manager should
provide candid and genuine feedback to employees which helps them grow professionally.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor's degree in electrical engineering with a minimum of 10 years of relevant experience or
a bachelor’s degree in Instrumentation engineering from an accredited program is required.
- A minimum of 10 years of experience with a mix of people management and project delivery
responsibilities is a must.
- Good understanding of the variety services being offered as a part of this group and be an
expert in at least two of those services being offered currently by the team. Any hands on
experience with tools used for delivering the services will be a plus but not required.
- Professional certifications like ISA CAP(Certified Automation Professional) or being a certified
PLC programmer for a vendor platform will be a major plus but not a must.
Strong technical, written, and verbal communication skills are required.
Ability to effectively lead and inspire a team.
a. Proven experience of managing teams including hiring, retaining, performance
b. Experience working on projects in North America with good understanding of control &
automation industry practices.
c. Good understanding of IEC and ISA standards, building codes, life safety codes &
Primary Location India-Maharashtra-Mumbai
Req ID: 234751 Job Hire Type Experienced
Not Applicable #BMI N/A