Burns & McDonnell Assistant Project Manager - Networks, Integration, and Automation (Boston) in Newton, Massachusetts
Our Transmission & Distribution global practice is looking for an Electrical Engineer to support ourNewtonoffice. This person will serve as a lead engineer on telecommunications projects. You will have the opportunity at Burns & McDonnell to build your own success story, both personally and professionally. You will be empowered to build your career with a company that supports the creation of infrastructure for the largest and most complex machine humans have ever built, and which literally powers our society. Join our team working on dynamic projects engineering communications and network solutions that are modernizing today’s electric grid infrastructure. We want you to bring your unique experiences, talents, and perspectives to our diverse team to make our client projects successful!
Networks, Integration & Automation (NIA)
As an engineer at Burns & McDonnell, you will be a key part of our nationwide team. Burns & McDonnell will provide you on-the-job training, technical mentorship, and personal development as you support the following projects:
- Grid Modernization: Now, more than ever, reliable and secure communication for grid operations is essential. We work with electric utilities to expand their capabilities with the latest technologies for remote monitoring, automation, and control to improve their operational efficiency.
- Networks: We help our clients build redundant, long-haul, high-capacity data networks via a variety of technologies that are used for both business/IT needs as well as the day-to-day operational needs that keep the lights on.
- Renewable Energy: With the expansion of renewable energy technologies, our team works to connect these assets to electric grid infrastructure to provide critical communications for the local utility and system operator in areas such as offshore wind, solar photovoltaic (PV), hydroelectric power, and battery storage.
- Rural Broadband: As engineers, we have a social responsibility to support our communities. Our NIA team works to help our clients provide high-speed internet access to rural communities to advance educational and economic opportunities and help close the digital divide.
- Private LTE: We are supporting development of entirely private carrier-grade networks for electric utilities, unlocking new capabilities to monitor and manage the grid and ultimately better serve customers. Private LTE is one application of many within our wireless portfolio.
- Fiber: Fiber optic infrastructure is one of the fastest ways that utilities transmit high-bandwidth data, and our team is helping to expand that infrastructure from their core networks all the way to customer homes.
- Electric Vehicles: We work with industry leaders and electric utilities to help our customers transition to beneficial and cost-effective transportation electrification.
Executes the electrical design of projects from the conceptual phase through design completion.
Research, designs, and compiles project related data as required by the project managers.
Applies knowledge of commonly used electrical concepts, practices, codes, and procedures within the electrical engineering services industry.
Performs field inspections, measurements, or calculations for public and private clients.
Creates project deliverables including but not limited to device configurations, network architecture diagrams, and specifications.
Utilizes innovative tools such as Geographic Information Systems (GIS), 3D scanning, and model-based design.
Modifies and reviews construction drawings and client presentations for a variety of projects primarily related, but not limited, to electric utilities.
Meets and corresponds with clients or outside personnel to develop relationships with key client points of contact.
Performs design quality reviews.
All other duties as assigned.
Bachelor's degree in Electrical or Computer Engineering or Computer Science from an accredited program.
Minimum of three years of IT or telecommunications project experience with at least two years related project management experience.
Strong aptitude for learning new technologies and analytics techniques
Ability to apply structured approaches and methodologies to your project work
Ability to develop a set of actionable and targeted project plans or project strategies as necessary
Strong organizational skills and the ability to manage a vast array of information
Rigorous and logical problem-solving approach
Adaptable self-starter who can create structure in ambiguous environments
Highly self-motivated and able to work independently as well as in a team environment
Financial acumen in cost accrual and forecasting required.
Experience in data analytics and visualization in PowerBI or a related platform required.
Proficiency in Microsoft Project or Primavera scheduling software required.
Project Management Professional (PMP) certification strongly preferred. Professional Engineering (PE) registration preferred.
Must have ability to deal effectively with a wide variety of industry, government and public contracts on project-related matters. Must have excellent written and verbal communication skills and strong analytical and problem-solving skills.
Must have ability to travel. Valid driver's license required, and must meet standards to qualify for and maintain the Company's vehicle driving privileges as outlined in the Company's Motor Vehicle Safety Policy.
The expected compensation range for this position is displayed in accordance with the Connecticut Public Act 21-30, An Act Concerning the Disclosure of Salary Range for Vacant Positions. The final agreed upon compensation is based on a number of factors, including but not limited to: individual education, qualifications, prior work experience and work location. The total annual compensation package will consist of a base salary and eligibility to participate in our discretionary year-end incentive bonus program.
Our extensive benefits package takes care of you so that you can focus on doing great work. From insurance and disability to time off and wellness programs, we provide the tools to meet your needs. As part of being 100% employee-owned, eligible employees participate in our Employee Stock Ownership Plan (ESOP) in addition to our 401(k) retirement program. For more information, please visit the Benefits & Wellness page.
Job Electrical Engineering
Primary Location US-MA-Newton
Travel: Yes, 15 % of the Time
Req ID: 223548