Burns & McDonnell Staff Electrical Engineer - Networks, Integration, Automation (Vancouver) in Vancouver, Washington
Our Transmission & Distribution global practice is looking for an Electrical Engineer to support our Vancouveroffice. This person will serve as a lead engineer on telecommunications projects. You will have the opportunity at Burns & McDonnell to build your own success story, both personally and professionally. You will be empowered to build your career with a company that supports the creation of infrastructure for the largest and most complex machine humans have ever built, and which literally powers our society. Join our team working on dynamic projects engineering communications and network solutions that are modernizing today’s electric grid infrastructure. We want you to bring your unique experiences, talents, and perspectives to our diverse team to make our client projects successful!
Networks, Integration & Automation (NIA)
As an engineer at Burns & McDonnell, you will be a key part of our nationwide team. Burns & McDonnell will provide you on-the-job training, technical mentorship, and personal development as you support the following projects:
- Grid Modernization: Now, more than ever, reliable and secure communication for grid operations is essential. We work with electric utilities to expand their capabilities with the latest technologies for remote monitoring, automation, and control to improve their operational efficiency.
- Networks: We help our clients build redundant, long-haul, high-capacity data networks via a variety of technologies that are used for both business/IT needs as well as the day-to-day operational needs that keep the lights on.
- Renewable Energy: With the expansion of renewable energy technologies, our team works to connect these assets to electric grid infrastructure to provide critical communications for the local utility and system operator in areas such as offshore wind, solar photovoltaic (PV), hydroelectric power, and battery storage.
- Rural Broadband: As engineers, we have a social responsibility to support our communities. Our NIA team works to help our clients provide high-speed internet access to rural communities to advance educational and economic opportunities and help close the digital divide.
- Private LTE: We are supporting development of entirely private carrier-grade networks for electric utilities, unlocking new capabilities to monitor and manage the grid and ultimately better serve customers. Private LTE is one application of many within our wireless portfolio.
- Fiber: Fiber optic infrastructure is one of the fastest ways that utilities transmit high-bandwidth data, and our team is helping to expand that infrastructure from their core networks all the way to customer homes.
- Electric Vehicles: We work with industry leaders and electric utilities to help our customers transition to beneficial and cost-effective transportation electrification.
Executes the electrical design of projects from the conceptual phase through design completion.
Research, designs, and compiles project related data as required by the project managers.
Applies knowledge of commonly used electrical concepts, practices, codes, and procedures within the electrical engineering services industry.
Performs field inspections, measurements, or calculations for public and private clients.
Creates project deliverables including but not limited to device configurations, network architecture diagrams, and specifications.
Utilizes innovative tools such as Geographic Information Systems (GIS), 3D scanning, and model-based design.
Modifies and reviews construction drawings and client presentations for a variety of projects primarily related, but not limited, to electric utilities.
Meets and corresponds with clients or outside personnel to develop relationships with key client points of contact.
Performs design quality reviews.
All other duties as assigned.
Bachelor of Science in Electrical Engineering or related degree from an ABET accredited program.
Or Bachelor of Science in Electrical or related Engineering Technology from an ABET accredited program and successful completion of Fundamentals of Engineering (FE) exam.
Master of Science degree in Electrical Engineering may be substituted for 1 year experience.
Minimum 3 years related telecommunications design experience, ideally with some exposure to electric substations.
Must have excellent written and verbal communication skills and strong analytical and problem-solving skills.
Must be capable of applying intensive and diversified knowledge of principles and practices to broad areas of assignments.
$105,000 - $160,000
The expected compensation range for this position is displayed in compliance with all local/state regulations. The expected compensation range for this position is based on a number of factors, including but not limited to: individual education, qualifications, prior work experience and work location. The total annual compensation package will consist of a base salary and eligibility to participate in our discretionary year-end incentive bonus program.
Our extensive benefits package takes care of you so that you can focus on doing great work. From insurance and disability to time off and wellness programs, we provide the tools to meet your needs. As part of being 100% employee owned, eligible employees participate in our Employee Stock Ownership Plan (ESOP) in addition to our 401(k) retirement program. For more information, please visit the Benefits & Wellness page.
Job Electrical Engineering
Primary Location US-WA-Vancouver
Travel: Yes, 15 % of the Time
Req ID: 223578 Job Hire Type Experienced